We have had a successful relationship with Zebra Technologies for nearly nine years, providing our Resellers with Zebra’s full range of mobile, desktop, midrange and card printers, not forgetting their media consumables and service packages!
As a market leader of printing solutions for 40 years, Zebra Technologies are well known across the globe and recognised for their innovations, but we wanted to know more about Zebra’s history. Although many of you will know of the Zebra Technologies brand and their solutions, below are some facts about the organisation that you may not have known…
- Zebra Technologies was founded in 1969 by Ed Kaplan under the name “Data Specialties Incorporated”
- Originally Zebra Technologies was a manufacturer of high-speed electromechanical products
- In 1982, the company began focusing on specialty on-demand labelling and ticketing and became Zebra Technologies Corporation in 1986
- Legend has it that the name “Zebra Technologies” was selected when someone internally mentioned that the stripes of the barcode resembled the stripes of the Zebra
- For more than 40 years, Zebra has been developing the building blocks that are key components of today’s Internet of Things (IoT) technology
- Zatar, Zebra’s cloud based IoT platform and the Link-OS™ environment, let enterprises do more and see more with the technology that makes their business run
- Zebra Technologies has more than 50 strategically-located offices worldwide
- The industries Zebra Technologies products serve include manufacturing, retail, healthcare, transportation & logistics, government, sports & entertainment
- Zebra serves customers in more than 100 countries throughout Europe, Asia, the Americas, Africa, the Middle East and the Pacific
- 90% of Fortune 500 companies are Zebra customers
- To offer the most competitive solution possible, Zebra has made various strategic acquisitions over its tenure to support core vertical markets
- Zebra acquired Vertical Technologies Inc in 1995, a privately held software development company to strengthen the business as a provider of total barcoding solutions
- In 1998 Zebra acquired Eltron, a manufacturer of high-quality, low- cost bar code label and plastic card printers to develop their product portfolio
- Comtec Information Systems was acquired in 2000, a leader in portable wireless thermal printing solutions
- In the healthcare vertical, Zebra acquired LaserBand in 2012 to enhance its solution portfolio in patient safety and regulatory compliance support
- In 2013 Zebra acquired Hart Systems in, a custom inventory solution provider and StepOne, a mobility software provider for retailers
- Zebra has also created strategic alliances to further support and strengthen their offering
- An alliance with LifeMed ID in 2013 was formed to enhance its patient identity solution capabilities
- Also in 2013 Zebra formed alliances with ZBD solutions to offer a competitive electronic shelf labelling (ESL) solution to its retail customers
Innovation is at the core of Zebra’s business and the company is committed to helping its partners and end users reach their goals through their technologies. To see the Zebra’s full range of printing solutions click here.
If you would like more information about Zebra, its solutions and history visit their website here www.zebra.com.